Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 4: Half moon, standing head-to-feet and foggy photos

After four days, I feel amazing. Incorporating daily practice into my schedule wasn't hard. It did require some fine tuning to fit class in everyday, but it's worth it. Yes. It is. From here on out, I will be chronicling my class time with updates on what is happening within my body (including ze' brain), my outlook, perception, and general being. I'll also be posting snazzy pictures of myself to show my progression in each asana.

The biggest change I feel so far is taking place in my belly (and brain). My food cravings are simple: salad, fruit, and easy to digest edibles. Though after several hours pass and the cold that has become Raleigh settles in, I do crave things with more oomph...cue roasted veggies, legumes and delicious high-fat coconut curries. mmm, good. Eating this way makes me feel great, compared to the normal sugar and salt laden death that constitutes much of the Standard American Fare. Cue barfing.

What's hitting me the most is how fast these changes are taking place. I have been practicing yoga for over 6 months now, roughly 3 times per week (with peaks and dips throughout). But I've never practiced day after day. There's something magical that happens when you hit the fourth day in a row. You have a slight soreness in your legs, mostly the knees; a tenderness to your back and neck. You also have this intense feelings of lightness, as if you are incredibly graceful (which may now be true). The only downside is that the lightness took residence in the space between my ears today, and that proved for an interesting first hour at work. "Uh oh. Huh? What? Where...shit. We're almost out of coffee. Dammit. Okay, okay. No worries. Shit. What? oh...yes. wait, oh." The dialogue, mostly internal, for my first hour. A small snack and a cup of tea later, I was back in the game. Food grounds that light-headed feeling...something about the calories and the energy...or the weight. Whatever it is, after that little snackeroo, I was fine. Onto awkward, sweaty, foggy pictures!

So this is where I'm at in half moon and standing head-to-feet:

I have plenty to improve upon, but am quite happy with how flexible somewhat regular attendance has made me. At my first yoga class, my backbend was a mere head roll and my hands-to-feet was more of a grimace as I thought "people can actually touch their feet?"

Wins: 4 days of consecutive yoga. Cravings: salad, fruit and healthy snacks. deep back bends. standing tall, resting my head on my knee, Monica's class. Sautéed greens with Tofu over Quinoa (see recipe and pictures below).

No comments:

Post a Comment