Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 12: Drunk! Laughing, sitting, laughing, unable to find shoes...and separate leg stretching

Eating is important. We know this. Eating well is very important. We know this, too. Not eating all day because your school's idea of food is a Subway? Shit. Shit on a 12" roll. Poopy roll. Lame.  Today was not a day for eating, healthy or not.

So after a full onslaught of classes, including a 3 hour lab, I bussed it home, hopped on my langster stallion and road off into the already-darkened sunset towards Open Door. I pulled my usual-coast in at 3 minutes before class-and quickly settled right near Monica. Ouf. Ouf is french slang for fou, which means crazy. It's the hip thing to say, or so my frenchies told me. And crazy it was. Monica already mentioned that she was going to focus on my postures, keeping my alignment in check. After class, she looked at me with a tender face and said, "man, I really picked on you today." I looked back at her and said, "I feel drunk." Then we laughed.

Many of my postures need fine tuning. Hell, all of them do. It's a process. a continual process. movement. breath. flow. It's all the same. You have peaks and dips throughout your week in all areas and this includes yoga. Monica helped me throughout class by correcting my alignment and lending some ankle-weight to rabbit pose. Some students shy away from the attention. It can be reminiscent of high school; a teacher calling on you when you are unprepared, singling you out in front of class. My face always turned a little red and my throat would rise, but this isn't high school. I'm here every day because I want to do yoga. I chose this. So when Monica or any teacher is "picking on me," I'm stoked. Yoga isn't about frustration, or feeling like someone is picking on you. The teachers are there to motivate, correct and instruct; they're there to help you with your yoga. So let them.

Oh, drunk. Yes. Since I didn't ingest enough calories today (due in part to the severe lack of edible options at school), yoga was insane. Insane in the dizzy and disoriented sense. Even though I was on a food low, I did manage to have some strong poses. And my bottle of H20 sat at the end of my mat, neglected, until the standing series was over. H20 control. Working on it. Class ended and I stumbled out into the hallway. I started giggling as I attempted to locate my belongings. 5 minutes later, I was sitting on the bench when Monica said the aforementioned comment. After my admission of feeling drunk, and the following laughter, she told me to pack a lunch for my long school days. Daily practice is great, but you really need to make sure you are adequately fed and hydrated...or you feel ape-shit wasted when you leave. Faux-drunk is fun. The giggles are so strong, it's like my freshman year in college...where I'd wake up baked because my roommate thought pre-class reading was a gravity bong. In our 10x12 room. Sometimes a win.

Separate Leg Stretching:


This is my running-really-screwed-my-hams-and-lower-back pose. That's the sanskrit name, right?

Wins: Beautiful lady taking my photo (whom you can see in the mirror!); Eating!; ginger in my tea; more and more and more new people at the studio; Yoga drunk; laughing; Biology class.

3 comments:

  1. Yoga drunk! I love it. Who hasn't felt loopy after yoga now and then. For me, it's after a double. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. We always called it the "yoga high." Strangely enough, the first time I actually DID get high (which was pretty recently), I thought, "hey, this is just like how I feel after a killer yoga class..." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post. I agree completely about feeling stoked about the attention. I'm there to learn, I almost get frustrated if I don't get some feedback in a class. It's like I went all the way to the shop and they'd sold out of candy.

    J, Only you could come up with that comment. Pure gold.

    ReplyDelete