Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 56: Strong Class and a New Book

Today was a very, very strong class. Even though it was full to the fire limit and our mats were turned, the heat never became an issue. And the cap on my water bottle stayed firmly closed all the way until Camel...where I dumped some on my head, not down my throat. It's getting easier and easier to not drink water during class. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the constant hydrating prior to arriving; maybe the consistent practice is changing my perception of 'hot'; maybe I'm just too focused on the yoga to worry about some little bottle of water. Whatever the reason may be, I'm happy to shed a security blanket. It's nice to listen to your body and know that passing on water for 90 minutes won't kill me.

Coming back after my short hiatus is great. I'm strong and my postures reflect that. Though the first class (maybe first two) showed some lost depth, my limberness quickly returned. I fell back, way back, yesterday and started to smile through short breaths and a near-crazy feeling.

I also started a new book as per Catie's recommendation: Meditations from the Mat - Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga. One lesson for every day of the year, to be read one day at a time. I so often rush through things, searching for completeness; whether it's a goal or a simple task, speed and efficiency seem paramount to me. I credit this to the American Standard of here, now, done, fast, immediate, instant. It's nice to wait; to prolong each lesson; to think it over; to digest the wisdom.

Class: Hot 90
Instructor: The wondrous Jana
Studio: Open Door
Wins: Lavender towels, of course; 30+ people breathing, moving and working in one room; saying goodbye to insecurities; accepting more of the person I am as I look forward to the person I am becoming; learning that not everything has to do with me, including the ups and downs of friends; separating out my ego and understanding my place.

No comments:

Post a Comment