Saturday, December 19, 2009

Revolution

ary? izing? ist?

I don't want to rely on the common practice that January 1st marks a pivotal moment where one (being any of the millions of Americans) claims that a revolutionary shift is to take place. The day is so symbolic already. Beginning. Start. First. It's fresh. New. People hold on to the magic of this day so desperately, as if it will disappear. And that's because it does. The first is followed by the second. A remarkably unremarkable day. But this day is even more important. It's when the magic of any choose-your-own-ending on the word "revolution" needs to be bigger, stronger and more persistent. Also known as follow through. And that is what I am looking for this year. Follow. Through.

Revolutionary describes my ideas on health, or at least I pretend that's the adjective. Others call it weird. And it can be just altogether ostracizing. "No, sorry. I actually don't eat meat. Or biscuits. Nope. no. not really. Bojangles isn't an option. And I'll pass on the coke. What? Oh, you know...salad. Mixed greens. Quinoa. Sprouts. Brazil nuts. Protein? Really? Oh, you know...I just breathe deeply and hope for the best. Vitamin b-12 deficiency? I lick the dirt off my carrots. Yup. earthy."

So to start, I'm going to take January 1st as a very important day. The start of what will hopefully be followed by the second day (the extra important one). And then the third. Whoa now. Follow through. yes. yes. Follow through.

January 1st will mark 1 day (to be followed by 100 more) of yoga. Bikram, to be specific. But also a gentle style of Hatha Flow in the morning. Maybe even Svaroopa at night. 101 classes in 101 days. Breathe. Take a breath. 1st. 2nd. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment